Yes, it happened – I spilled tea on my, relatively new, and very expensive laptop. I couldn’t believe it. I was always so careful. And from the time my daughter was old enough to tap her tiny fingers on the keypad I have preached about the importance of never having liquid of any sort near the computer. I was stunned, speechless, and that’s a rear happening for me I can assure you.
So what did I do? What did I learn? What did it teach me – for I do believe most things happen in our lives to teach us something; my default thinking I’m proud to say after 20+ years of Oprah.
Well, the first I did when I recovered my vocals was screech. Then I spewed a litany of unrepeatable profanities as I saved and closed files at record speed. The stench of burning wires was unreal. My adorable little silver box of technology suddenly reminded me of Old-Sparky on Death Row in Stephen Kings film The Green Mile only it was my ass frying along with it. Once I had it unplugged, I yanked it off its stand and turned it upside down while open in an attempt to let the tea drain out of it. Quote – I did say in an attempt – nothing came out. Then it got a blast of the hair dryer, on the cool setting mind you, I didn’t want to fry it any worse that it already was. Then I cried and cursed some more. Finally, I sat in the chair horrified at the sight before me and thanked God and every Saint known to mankind that I had backed up my work the night before.
Tired as I was, I took out Click-Free and plugged it in to let it do it’s job. It’s not that I have to copy or paste, or do anything with it other than plug it in and wait for it to backup – it’s just when you’re shattered after a long day at the computer it’s easy to say, “I’ll do it tomorrow.” Boy was I glad I hadn’t left till tomorrow what I could do that day, as that wonderful saying goes.
Second thing I learned was NEVER EVER go anywhere near a laptop with liquid of any sort. You would think I would have known that after preaching for years to my daughter but…
Now don’t get me wrong here – it’s not like I was stupid enough to sit down to have a cuppa beside my laptop – oh no, far from it.
I suffer horrendously with sciatica; a burning sensation down my legs and it gets particularly bad when I am sitting, so I get up every hour or so and stretch my limbs. On this occasion, I decided to get a cuppa and read a chapter while pacing the floor slowly. It was either that or lie flat on my back on the floor, and whilst I often write that way, it’s quite difficult to drink tea in that position. Anyhow, with tea in hand I reached across the laptop to get my glasses. I staggered, caught my toe in the base of the chair, and splash…..
Now if ever I needed proof that I am addicted to my writing, that writing is my oxygen, by golly I got it when my laptop fired. The fear of loosing my work consumed me. I knew I had backed up but I had never actually tried to replace work from my backup to know if it was working properly.
The fingernails got the works – the dog got yelled at – sleep eluded me, tea was consumed in inhumane quantise, and my daughter was blessed she was away until my fingers were back on the keypad. Tension eased only as I searched my files and found that all was still safe in crazy land of technology my writing lives in.
So my dear people – learn from my mistake and make sure you are ten foot away from the computer when you have the cuppa in your hand, and Back-Up, Back-Up Back-Up your work daily.
With a smile