Aug 28, 2009

Bullshit Barometer


Yes, I said what you think I said. This signifies my Bullshit Barometer.
I have one. I honestly believe most people have one. And, I sincerely advise those who haven’t got one - get one.

Apart from being one of those essential little things to save our sanity during these challenging times, it’s every writers must-have.

What exactly do I use my Bullshit Barometer for I hear you ask – well, everything from my writing to reading the daily news of course! And, it will let me know when I have had my fill of bullshit for any one day.

Bear with me a minute while I elaborate on that for you.

When I’m reading, if something doesn’t ring true for me or sit right with me, I will instantly ask myself where exactly I would rate the said piece on my Bullshit Barometer.
When writing, especially in dialogue, if I get the slightest inkling that it’s not real, I ask myself the same question, and I don’t always like the answer I get.
As for editing – my barometer is invaluable during that process.

If we as writers were honest enough to go through every paragraph and truthfully answer where it rated on a Bullshit Barometer, well – suffice to say it would instigate a marked improvement on the finished product.

If you cannot dazzle them with brilliance, please do not baffle them with bullshit - as the wonderful saying goes!

“No one has the right to be read – it is a privilege to be read,” is what Sarah Webb said one day at an Inkwell Writers Workshop I attended, and how right she is. That statement sat with ease in my consciousness and my BB became even more valuable. After all, the onus is on the writer to create the best work possible for the public to read, and I believe the use of a barometer would definitely help in achieving this.
I don’t care whether you use a bullshit detector, or a bullshit deflector, but it is up to the writer to be the publics bullshit protector.

Finally, it would serve us well to remember that at the end of the day, someone is going to rate our writing on their Bullshit Barometer, so it might just be advisable to run it thorough our own barometers first.

My advice: make sure your writing is a bullshit-free zone.

Just a thought

Ita

No comments:

Post a Comment